Everyone who is involved with cannabis has likely heard of the top five cannabis companies, which make up 73% of the entire cannabis market space. These include Canopy Growth, Aurora, Organigram, Aphria and HEXO, but what about the smaller craft-cannabis companies that make up the remaining 27% of the cannabis market?
Let’s look at some of the up and coming cannabis brands that hold market shares in the recreational Canadian market.
The Qwest brand name stands for “Quintessentially West” and produces some of the best craft cannabis British Columbia has to offer. Qwest is run by a team of second and third generation growers and produces some of the rarest genetics in Canada, which are all traceable to third generation seeds.
Alan Gertner, and Toronto native, traded his dream job at Google for a job in cannabis and hasn’t looked back. He started Tokyo Smoke with his father Lorn Gertner and they have managed to blend the best of craft cannabis culture against a backdrop of chic coffee houses.
Tantalus labs has been responsible for revolutionizing cannabis growth in closed system greenhouses, which offer cutting edge growing technology. Tantalus Labs was named the Most Anticipated Licensed Producer by the Canadian Cannabis Awards in 2017 and produces 100% sun grown cannabis alongside state-of-the-art greenhouse technology.
Tweed is a smaller subsidiary company under Canopy Growth Corporation and is based out of Smith Falls, Ontario. Tweed was the first publicly traded cannabis company as well as the first company to legally export cannabis and have an online presence.
It is important for craft cannabis companies to have a presence in the legal market to prevent a “top 5” monopoly from forming. These craft cannabis companies offer premium, small batch flowers and often times offer unique and rare strains that are not available from the big 5 companies.